The purpose of the Gifts in Tribute Program is to connect with the community and enhance our grounds by providing opportunities for community members to honor their loved ones and/or significant events through Tribute gifts (“Tributes”).
The following policies have been developed to provide consistent practices and remain within the resource capabilities of the King C. Hudson and Evelyn Leigh Hudson Foundation, Inc., dba The Hudson Gardens & Event Center (“Hudson Gardens”).
- All policies pertain to both new and previously-purchased Tributes.
- All Tributes will be processed and fulfilled only upon receipt of full payment.
- Tributes shall be placed on display and made accessible to the public at Hudson Gardens.
- Hudson Gardens shall:
- Maintain all Tributes in good repair and condition within an acceptable standard of public display with the intent of maximizing the life of each Tribute.
- Make reasonable good faith efforts to contact the client if a Tribute is replaced, relocated or removed.
- Hudson Gardens reserves the right to:
- Create, modify, and discontinue Tribute opportunities.
- Select and modify designated areas for Tributes.
- Establish monetary amounts for Tributes and alter these amounts as conditions warrant without notice. Monetary amounts shall be value-based and commensurate with the resources required for installation and proper care and maintenance.
- Approve all wording on all Tributes.
- Establish an appropriate period of time for which Tributes are guaranteed, after which the guarantee expires unless a renewed commitment is made by the client.
- Relocate any Tribute due to landscape improvements, building improvements, and/or interference with existing and proposed circulation, use patterns, and Master Plans. In such circumstances, Hudson Gardens will make reasonable efforts to select a new location that is agreeable to the client.
- In the event that a client is unable to be reached, to replace, relocate, or remove a Tribute at its discretion.
- Due to Colorado’s unique climate, new trees will only be planted from April to June and September to October. These installation windows have been selected to ensure maximum viability for the trees.
- Tribute locations are made available in their existing or ‘as-is’ conditions.
- Additional fees may apply for corrections or changes to an inscription on a brick, tree plaque, bench and/or bench plaque after an order is placed. Corrections to an inscription due to error by Hudson Gardens or its vendors will be made at no expense to the client.
- Cremated remains may not remain permanently on Hudson Gardens’ property.
- Requests for modifications to a Tribute or its surroundings may be considered on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of Hudson Gardens. Modifications may only be requested by the client(s) who originally purchased the Tribute. If approved, the requested modification must be performed by Hudson Gardens or its designees, in a timeframe determined by Hudson Gardens. All costs associated with the modification must be borne by the client and paid prior to any work being performed.
- A dedication event for any Tribute is welcomed. Tribute dedications must be arranged in advance with Hudson Gardens’ staff and may not interfere with other events or facility rentals. Depending on the details of the dedication event, facility rental policies and fees may apply.
Tributes that are eligible for purchase include engraved bricks, new trees, existing trees for adoption, and benches. Plants other than trees are not eligible for Tributes.
Previously-purchased Tributes that do not fall within the above mentioned categories of eligible donations may be relocated or removed at the discretion of Hudson Gardens and will not be replaced in circumstances of deterioration or removal.
Slight wearing of bricks may occur. It is the client’s responsibility to request and pay for replacement bricks if so desired. Bricks damaged by improper engraving, installation, or vandalism will be replaced by Hudson Gardens at no expense to the client.
The locations, species, and sizes of available new trees are predetermined by Hudson Gardens. A list of available trees is maintained by Hudson Gardens and potential clients may select trees from this list.
Requests to fund a new tree may be made at any time of year, however, planting times are determined by Hudson Gardens based upon best practices for the chosen species. Typically, tree plantings occur during the spring or fall. Because planting dates are approximate and dependent on a variety of factors including weather, Hudson Gardens cannot accommodate clients during plantings.
The donation amount for a new tree includes the tree, commemorative plaque, planting expenses, and maintenance.
Each tree is accompanied by a plaque that includes a personalized inscription as well as the common and botanical name of the tree. Plaques will be installed on or near the new tree in accordance with best practices. Companion plantings and adornments to the New Tree other than the plaque are not permitted.
Hudson Gardens makes every effort to ensure that new trees thrive. The longevity of a particular tree is difficult to predict as it varies based on species and environmental conditions that are beyond The Hudson Gardens’ control. If a new tree fails for any reason within three years of planting, Hudson Gardens will replace it at no additional cost to the client. If it fails after a period of three years for any reason, it will be the client’s responsibility to fund a replacement if so desired. Replacement trees shall be governed in accordance with the current conditions, prices, and policies.
Should a healthy new tree require removal due to a building or construction project, Hudson Gardens will make reasonable efforts to inform the client. The tree will either be transplanted to a mutually-agreed upon location or the care will be transferred to a mutually-agreed upon comparable existing tree at no additional cost to the client.
Availability and Price
Existing trees for adoption (‘adopted tree[s]’) are those that are already in Hudson Gardens’ plant collection and that Hudson Gardens determines are eligible for adoption as Tributes.
Each adopted tree is accompanied by a plaque that includes a personalized inscription as well as the common and botanical name of the tree. Plaques will be installed on or near the adopted tree in accordance with best practices. Companion plantings and adornments to the adopted tree other than the plaque are not permitted.
Hudson Gardens makes every effort to ensure that adopted trees thrive. The longevity of a particular tree is difficult to predict as it varies based on species and environmental conditions that are beyond Hudson Gardens’ control. If an adopted tree fails or is removed for any reason within three years of dedication, Hudson Gardens will transfer the care to a mutually-agreed upon comparable tree at no cost to the client. If it fails after a period of three years for any reason, it will be the client’s responsibility to fund a replacement if so desired. Replacement trees shall be governed in accordance with the current conditions, prices and policies.
The style and location of each bench is chosen by Hudson Gardens. The appropriateness to the particular setting for the bench dictates the size, style, and type of construction material to be used. A list of available benches is maintained by Hudson Gardens and potential clients may select benches from this list.
A bench may be purchased at any time of year, however,installation of the bench is dependent on weather conditions. It may take up to three months from the time a Bench is ordered to the time it is installed, or longer if the three months expires between November and March. Because installation dates are approximate and dependent upon a variety of factors including weather, Hudson Gardens cannot accommodate clients at bench installations.
The donation amount required for a bench includes the bench purchase, the mounting structure and hardware, installation, commemorative plaque or inscription, and ongoing maintenance.
Each bench includes a commemorative plaque or inscription which is installed on or inscribed onto the Bench in accordance with best practices. Inscription and message specifications vary based on the type of material used to construct the bench and/or space limitations on bench plaques. Companion plantings and adornments to benches are not permitted.
The period of dedication for a bench is ten years.
If it is determined that a bench is no longer functional, unsafe, or unacceptable aesthetically, Hudson Gardens may remove a bench after the ten-year dedication period. In these circumstances, Hudson Gardens will make reasonable efforts to notify the client and make arrangements for a replacement if so desired. It will be the client’s responsibility to pay for the replacement, which shall be governed in accordance with the current conditions and policies.
Hudson Gardens reserves the right to move or relocate benches at any time. If relocation is necessary, Hudson Gardens will make reasonable efforts to contact the client and the new location will be mutually-agreed upon by the client and Hudson Gardens.